Since launching his campaign for president, Donald Trump has espoused racist, white supremacist and degrading attacks against communities of color, people of faith, people with disabilities, women, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Over the same time period, hate crimes have been on the rise in America, with direct ties to his hateful language.
Counties that hosted Trump rallies in 2016 saw a 226% increase in hate crimes. Beto believes we need to connect the dots between the proliferation of hatred and violence in America, and mobilize the federal government to combat white supremacy, racism, and domestic terrorism, and the places in which this radicalization occurs and hate grows. Importantly, Beto believes that while we need to identify white nationalism and call out these hateful actions, we also need to ensure we’re treating each other with dignity and respect.Read our full plan
Beto believes in mobilizing the federal government to combat white supremacy and domestic terrorism.
- Ensure that the FBI and DOJ prioritize right wing violence by improving data collection regarding hate crimes and treating far-right violence as an organized crime problem
- Identify white nationalism as a threat in the National Counterterrorism Strategy and ensure DHS has adequate resources to combat it
- Create dedicated domestic terrorism offices within DHS, DOJ and the FBI and restore funding within DHS to target violence and terrorism prevention.
Beto believes in holding internet companies accountable for hosting and allowing for the amplification of hate speech and domestic terrorism on their platforms.
- Block terrorist content online by calling for the closure of 8Chan, Stormfront and other white nationalist communities housed on social media platforms.
- Requiring large social media platform companies to create systems designed to remove hateful activities on their sites.
- Amend Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to remove legal immunity from lawsuits for informational service providers, including domain name servers and social media platforms of all sizes, found to have knowingly promoted content that incites violence.
Beto believes in galvanizing the international community to counter extremist and violent rhetoric globally.
- Sign the Christchurch Call to Action, which has been ignored by the Trump Administration
- Require the National Counterterrorism Center to coordinate with international partners to investigate global links to white nationalist violence.